#110 - 525 Great Northern Way
Vancouver, BC V5T 1E1
E: [email protected]
Equinox Gallery is open Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm.
HOW TO FIND US
Access to the gallery is via Thornton Street, just off Great Northern Way.
Gallery parking is free behind the building, in spots marked "525 Gallery Parking".
Main Street Skytrain
Bus Routes #3, #8, #19, #84 are all nearby.
Please Note: Equinox Gallery does not accept unsolicited artist submissions.
ART GALLERY TECHNICIAN / PHOTOGRAPHER Nov 21, 2018
Vancouver’s Equinox Gallery, one of Canada’s pre-eminent private galleries that features a dynamic program of exhibitions by artists it represents as well as works from the secondary market, is seeking an enthusiastic member for its tight, energetic team.
Reporting to the Director and working closely with other staff, this position handles and/or supervises all art movement, installation/de-installation of artworks for exhibitions and ongoing viewing purposes; coordinates shipping needs; photographs all artworks and installations; maintains the art and image inventory; and ensures the gallery spaces are professionally maintained. Workdays are normally Tuesday through Saturday with extended hours during weekends and evenings when required for installations, openings or other purposes.
· Prepares/handles/matts/frames/packs/crates/stores artworks for gallery exhibitions, international art fairs and client presentations, applying professional standards
· Photographs, edits, archives professional quality images of all artworks and installations, using professional lighting and following gallery imaging protocols, including preparing digital files for multiple platforms
· Communicates photography workflow to colleagues as images are prepared, sized, formatted and available for further use
· Conceives lighting solutions for exhibitions and individual artworks
· Designs, orders/prepares and installs didactic materials and title walls; plans for all other exhibition logistics that may range from wall-building to audio visual requirements
· Develops installation/de-installation timelines and manages these timelines in coordination with colleagues and artists
· Negotiates and supervises outside contractors (such as external preparators) as required
· Prepares the galleries for exhibition (painting when required); maintains galleries ensuring an ongoing professional appearance at all times; supervises the weekly cleaning service
· Delivers and installs artworks for clients as instructed using professional standards
· Coordinates incoming and outgoing shipping and completes required paperwork including condition reports and customs documents as required
· Maintains accurate database of art inventory and the database of image files
· Devises and builds basic storage systems for artworks and keeps inventory organized
· Maintains preparation supplies and sources specialty materials and equipment as needed
· Organizes a safe, clean work environment onsite and in company vehicle
· Maintains business and client confidentiality
· Skilled and experienced photographer of two- and three-dimensional artworks, conversant in today’s imaging technologies and their applications
· Proficient in Photoshop and in converting images into various file formats
· Knowledge and 3 years of experience in art handling at a gallery or museum, including working with diverse materials and technologies
· Knowledge and experience of working with databases including data entry, linking records and managing images
· Knowledge of conservation-based art handling, preparation and storage strategies and standards
· Woodworking experience and knowledge of safe operation of power tools
· Knowledge of art practices
· Strong time management and organizational skills
· High attention to detail and self-motivated problem-solver
· Physical and technical ability to lift and move heavy items, often on one’s own
· Valid driver’s license and several years of no-fault driving experience
· Skilled at clear written and oral communication
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively on shared gallery objectives
· Sense of humour is an asset
If you have the qualifications for this position, please send your application including a cover letter and cv to [email protected] with the subject: Gallery Technician/Photographer. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Remuneration: $25.00/hour; commensurate with experience. Full-time or part-time. Start date January 2019.